The Church of the Holy Cross in Perissa on Santorini is one of the largest churches on the island. It is located on the outskirts of the town, near the beach, at the foot of the Mesa Vouno hill.
History and architecture of the church
The church was built between 1835 and 1840, in a style typical for Greek religious buildings, especially on Santorini – white walls with blue domes (there are five of them, one main one and four smaller ones in the corners of the building). The building also has a magnificent bell tower. The church was destroyed by an earthquake in 1956, but rebuild after that.
There are other attractions and places of interest in the immediate vicinity of the church – including the ruins of the Early Christian Basilica of St Irene and the Mineral Museum.
The solemn indulgence in this church takes place every year on 14 September.