The Panagia Katefiani in Perissa on Santorini is a small chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary built into the hillside of Mesa Vouno above the village of Perissa. The church is located on the trail from Perissa to ancient Thera. The walk from Perissa takes about 15-20 minutes.
The name Katefiani comes from the word ‘shelter’. The inhabitants of the area used to hide here in case of danger and invasions. Due to the fact that it is located quite high up, it is possible to admire the extraordinary view of the Aegean Sea and the south-eastern part of the island of Santorini.
History of the Chapel of Panagia Katefiani
The church was built between 1537 and 1650. It was built on the side of the Mesa Vouno mountain at an altitude of 200 metres. This allowed the building to withstand the attacks of pirates and invaders and survive until the present day.
Behind the presbytery there is a cave with a fountain. According to legend, its water has healing properties.
The solemn indulgence in this church takes place every year on 8 September (the birthday of the Virgin Mary).