Santorini is located in southeastern Greece in the Cyclades archipelago.
- Greece is a country in Southern Europe, on the Balkan Peninsula. It borders Albania, Northern Macedonia, Bulgaria and Turkey. It is a member state of the European Union. In addition to the mainland, Greece has 2500 islands, 165 of which are inhabited.
- The Aegean Sea is a body of water in the eastern Mediterranean, belonging to Greece and Turkey. Its name is probably linked to the mythical king of Athens, Egeus.
- The Cyclades are an archipelago of islands lying in the south-eastern Aegean Sea. It consists of around 220 islands and islets. The name Cyclades according to mythology comes from the word “kyklos” (“circle”) that the other islands form around the sacred island of Delos.
Santorini lies in the Aegean Sea, about 110 km (60 nautical miles) north of Crete and about 180 km (96 nautical miles) southeast of mainland Greece (Attica).
Santorini is an archipelago made up of the following islands:
- Thera – is a crescent-shaped island which is the largest island in the archipelago (area 75.8 km2),
- Thirasia – the smaller sister of Thera, where one can say that “time has stopped” and everything looks as it did 70 years ago on Thera (area 9.3 km2),
- Aspronisi – uninhabited rocky islet (powierzchnia 0,1 km2),
- Nea Kameni- volcanic island, uninhabited, used for tourism – there is a volcanic park (area 3.4 km2)
- Palea Kameni – volcanic island with popular thermal hot springs (area 0.5 km2).
The length of the largest island of the archipelago, Thera, is 18 kilometres (from Cape Exomitis to Cape Mavropetra) and its width varies from 2 to 6 kilometres. The coastline is 69 kilometres long. Its population is just under 18,000 (according to the 2011 census).
- Latitude: 36°19’55.90 “N (Exomitis) to 36°28’55.58 “N (Mavropetra)
- Longitude: 25°21’14.36 “E (Cape Akrotiri) to 25°29’10.88 “E (easternmost part of the slope of Mesa Vouno)
The western shore of Thera is a high cliff, steeply descending to the caldera, with a height of 200 – 300 m above sea level. The highest peak of Santorini is Profitis Ilias (height 567 m above sea level.).