Santorini is one of the most beautiful places in the world, but a less sunny or even rainy day can happen. However, even when it rains, there are many interesting things to do in Santorini.
Here are some ideas for spending time in Santorini on a rainy day.
- A tour of the prehistoric Akrotiri. One of Santorini’s greatest attractions, the Akrotiri excavations are located entirely under a roof. On a rainy day, we recommend going to this site and taking a quiet, thorough tour of the entire town.
- Museum visits. There are many places of interest on Santorini that are housed in buildings. You can visit them during a rainy day.
- Museum of Prehistoric Thera in Fira
- The Museum of Ancient Thera in Fira
- The Maritime Museum in Oia
- Museum of Icons and Relics in Pyrgos
- Folklore Museum in Fira
- Tomato Museum in Vlychada
- Koutsoyannopoulos Wine Museum
- Lost Atlantis Museum in Santorini
- Mineral Museum in Perissa
- Megaro Gyzi Museum in Fira
- Museum of Musical Instruments in Oia
- Shopping. You can also go shopping on a rainy day. The most extensive shopping offers can, of course, be found in the island’s capital, Fira.
- Wine tastings. A rainy day is also a great opportunity to take advantage of one of the many wines tasting offers on the island. The tasting can be combined with a visit to the museum, as well as a tasting of snacks.
- Workshops and lessons. On a rainy day, you can arrange a workshop – such as cooking regional cuisine, woodcarving or training with a yoga or Pilates instructor.
- Holidays are for relaxing. You can spend a rainy afternoon in your flat, with a book in hand, an engaging film or playing board games with friends.
For those who would like to avoid rainy weather after all, here is a table showing the average monthly number of rainy days and rainfall totals by month:
|Total rainfall||89 mm||66 mm||54 mm||27 mm||14 mm||3 mm||1 mm||1 mm||17 mm||58 mm||56 mm||79 mm|
To avoid the rain, the best time to go to Santorini is between June and September.
The months of December and January receive the most rainfall.